Monday 9 December 2013

Why liking different music isn't such a bad thing / reasons why One Direction, Miley Cyrus and Rihanna are not the be all and end all of the music industry

Posted by alice_foster at 06:57
I suppose in a way, this is a somewhat of a follow up to my last post (what makes a horror movie scary?), in that it's again about music. What can I say? I really, really like music. Or, some types of music. Some music makes me want to claw my eyes out (*cough* One Direction *cough*), but most music just makes me happy. So I like writing posts about it. Anyway, onwards to the actual post. I had the shock of my life when I checked out my iPod this morning, as anyone who follows me on my instagram would have seen, when I looked at the weighing of my music, ie I have way more soundtracks and country albums than an 18 year old should have.

(my embarassing music faux pass - which I published on the internet!)

I mean yes, it's not as cringe worthy as the amount of soundtracks,  which is gut wrenchingly embarassing, but it's still pretty shaming. I suppose the reason why I have a secret love for country music is down to the fact that my parents love it because, let me tell you this - my friends do not. My friends, god love them, are massive fans of modern music (wow, way to sound old), things like One Direction, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber...well you get the idea. Me on the other hand, I get a kick out of listening to Nancy Griffiths, Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift (and I mean original Taylor, though I do love the RED album) and it's just...well it's embarassing. It's embarassing when someone asks you about so-and-sos and new song and you just sort of stare gormlessly at them because the last time you listened to Capital FM was months ago when you were in someone's car for all of five minutes.

But...why is it embarassing?

Is it embarassing because my music isn't widely listened to people my age? Is it because I don't like to stick out? Is there something genuinely wrong with not getting the appeal of the wide glassy eyed stare of a boy band who had their five minutes years ago? Or maybe...just maybe there's no issue with my music? Mine. I'm not forcing you to listen to it, but I like it. So I admit it here and now, I'm a country fangirl. I love the idea of writing stories into music, and in just having a simple lyric, and a crazy melody. I love the way that country music just makes you want to start tapping your foot on the floor, how it can make you feel so shamelessly good feeling. So yeah, I like country music. And why is that a bad thing?

I don't think it is.

I think we need variety in the world. I think we need to have different music tastes, if only to keep conversations ticking over. I think we need a new sound in the music industry, I think we need original lyrics, and sweeping melodies. I think we need to chill out when it comes to music too. Music's supposed to be fun, and I've been hit way too many times/shouted out/told to wash my mouth out for even daring to have a different opinion. But mainly I think we need to be proud of our differences, and people need to accept that sometimes the answer can not be found in Harry Styles "lusciously curly" birds nest....

Over and out (oh, and for those who want a taste of good old fashioned country music, I've attached a video below)

xx




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Simple Stuff Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos